Michael goes to the Bluth Company to find Lucille Austero. Instead, he finds that the whole 3rd floor has been cleared out. He goes to leave but runs into G.O.B. and his new girlfriend in the elevator. He asks G.O.B. what happened with the company and finds out that they've moved to the 4th floor. G.O.B. only moved the company so that he could have his own office. G.O.B. wants to make his father proud. Michael says that maybe sons aren't meant to be close to their fathers. Maybe they need to disappear for a while and let them figure it out on their own. Michael goes home to pick up his scuba gear but finds Tobias in George Michael's old room. He's dressed as George Michael and when asked why he responds that he's just trying to find his place in the Bluth family.
Michael leaves and heads to the dock where he practices using his gear and the camera that he's gonna use to map the floor. George Michael goes to visit Maeby who is living in a senior citizen home. Maeby gets a visitor from one of Lucille's friends who ends up staying with her. George Michael doesn't know what to do about how he lied to Michael and said he was still seeing Rebel Alley. Michael swims to a beach that he hasn't been to in 30 years: the house where his wife died. He goes up and knocks on the door and Lucille answers. He discovers that the family never sold the family cottage. Michael asks if she ever wondered if he'd come out here and check and Lucille says no. Tobias is there and he's dressed as Buster. Michael asks Lucille if she has Buster. Lucille says no. Michael opens a bedroom door looking for Buster but finds G.O.B. He's spray painting an anchor. G.O.B. tells Michael that he went to a trophy store and purchased it so that he could give George Senior a whole store full of trophies. Michael tells him that he's not going to be there when G.O.B gives it to him. Michael asks G.O.B where Buster is and G.O.B mistakenly says that he knows where he is thinking that Michael is referring to his new girlfriend. Michael heads home to see George Michael after Tobias tells him that he was at the model home.
Instead of finding George Michael, he finds George Snr. George Snr tells Michael that he and Lucille aren't together. He tells Michael that Lucille is being courted. She's being courted by a guy named Dusty, who used to be part of the Newport Bay Boys, a beach gang that used to throw rocks at people who came on their beach. Michael says that it's probably nothing. George says that maybe it's his fault because he can't deliver the goods. Michael tells George Snr. about Rebel and the predicament, he's in to make him feel better. He tells his father that he has to talk to Rebel and make sure she understands that he doesn't want to see her anymore before George Michael finds out what he really said. He leaves George Snr. to continue to cry in George Michael's old bedroom.
- Main Cast
- Jason Bateman as Michael Bluth
- Portia de Rossi as Lindsay Bluth Fünke
- Will Arnett as G.O.B.
- Michael Cera as George Michael Bluth
- Alia Shawkat as Maeby Fünke
- Tony Hale as Buster Bluth
- David Cross as Tobias Fünke
- Jeffrey Tambor as Oscar and George Bluth
- Jessica Walter as Lucille Bluth
- Kyle Mooney as Murph
- Dermot Mulroney as Dusty
- Ed Begley, Jr. as Stan Sitwell
- John Beard as John Beard
- Adhir Kalyan as Adhir
- Lauren Weedman as Joni Beard
- Elaine Carroll as Jen
- Fred Cross as Newport Bay Boy Mikey
- Van Epperson as Nate Shop Owner
- Hector Hugo as Building Manager
- Cici Lau as Bev
- Ben Levin as Deck Hand
- Steve Witting as Derek
- A New Start - The episode title is a call back to the original season four episode title.
- Matlock - The theme song to the 1980s TV show, previously referred to in "For British Eyes Only", can be heard in the retirement house where Maeby and Stan Sitwell are living.
- The Cornballer - The "lunch looter" in the original Austero Bluth Company office spaces shows Michael his Cornballer injury, and mentions being part of a Cornballer lawsuit against the Bluth Company.
- Mrs. Featherbottom - Maeby tells George Michael that she tried the grey wig for her retirement home get-up, while a flashback scene shows Maeby in Mrs. Featherbottom-like clothing, realizing she looks just like her dad.
- Magic marker - When Tobias portrays Buster, he used another permanent marker, as can be seen in "For British Eyes Only"
- Pick a lane! - Lucille says it to Michael, referring to the fact that they didn't actually sell the cottage. This is the same expression that was used by Michael and Buster in "Family Leave".
- Shoedini - When Michael find Maeby at the "Spotted Palm", a Shoedini commercial is played in the background.
- Tobias plays a Bluth - Tobias plays George Michael, Tracy Bluth, and Buster.
- Although it isn't yet established in the season, Tracy Bluth might not be dead. When Tobias impersonates Tracy, he says "I didn't leave, I love you both," and then when Michael was first seeing the cottage, he told a woman about his dying wife. Her response was "No, it is not true."
Michael: I'm sorry why would he be attracted to her if he's blind? And how did he burn off his fingertips?
George Snr: I have no idea what you're talking about.
Michael: I may have added the fingertips. I may have added the fingertips because I assumed that if he's blind that he's got to feel her face.
- The episode was originally listed as "Old Start, An".
- If you search "Nearmisters.com" as can be seen at the end of the George Michael video, you'll end up on Netflix with this episode opened.
- → See 10 pictures from An Old Start at Images from An Old Start.
|SEASON FIVE EPISODES|
13. Coming soon!
|Season One • Season Two • Season Three • Season Four • Season Five|