Almost every episode ends with an epilogue segment called "On the next... Arrested Development" in which lingering stories are wrapped up or extended humorously. These segments portray events that do not usually appear in the subsequent episodes, but remain part of the show's canon.
However, on some rare occasions (typically in the first half of a two-part episode), scenes from these portions are worked into the following episode; also, the segment occasionally shows a significant plot twist (e.g. Maggie Lizer's deception, Buster's accident, Steve Holt's discovery). The second episode of Season Three reversed this by having "Previously on..." featuring the resolution of the cliffhanger and nearly an entire episode of plot changes within thirty seconds. "Previously on..." was also used in season 4 episode "A New Attitude"
The epilogue sometimes shows a several-second continuation of the previous scene, in comically direct opposition to the name of the sequence. Notably, the season 1 episode "Pier Pressure" and the season 5 episode "An Old Start" do not include an epilogue at all.
In the season four episode "A New Start" the "On the next... Arrested Development" segment was followed by a "On the next... to entrap a local predator" segment and for the first, and so far only, times the events were narrated by John Beard.
The first and second season finales changed the segment to "On the next season of... Arrested Development" and in the third season finale it became "On the epilogue..." the fourth season finales used the classic "On the next... Arrested Development"
- “G.O.B. protests the pet stores frozen-dove exchange policy, and Michael, realizing the banana stand is the only profitable part of the the Bluth Empire, decides to rebuild.”
- “Tobias talks Lindsay into another session, and George Sr. makes good on his promise to come clean on the international accounts.”
- “Michael gets a lucky break when Helen makes the same mistake that he did, and G.O.B. kicks himself for a bad business decision.”
- “George Michael and Maeby sneak back into Les Cousins Dangereux and Michael's insurance takes another hit.”
- "George Michael begins an investigation, Tobias faces his greatest acting challenge, and Buster rebounds from Lucille 2.”
- “Tobias quietly overcompensates.”
- “Buster's competition heats up.”
- "Tobias gets an insight into fear, and the employees find a new direction"
- “Lupe makes a startling discovery, and Michael finds himself in the middle of the search for a missing Kitty.”
- “Maeby attempts to deposit her cheque. G.O.B. adapts to married life. Tobias is sent to break into Maggie's house to steal evidence, only to discover that she's not blind.”
- “Michael finds having his mother on the board problematic, Lindsay finds her true calling, and Oscar comes a-courtin'.”
- “Tobias loses his security job trying to solve the store's mice problem, Lindsay, now without a job, goes with her initial instinct, and Annyong exacts his revenge.”
On the next season of... Arrested Development
- “The family grapples with the news they had just heard, Maeby's life gets a little more complicated, and Kitty helps George Sr. escape.”
- “Lindsay almost stumbles upon a dating opportunity but instead is admitted to the hospital with a fever of 104. Michael finally gets the corporate checkbook, only to find that the family has gotten to it first, and Barry lands in jail.”
- “Lindsay finds out the true identity of her homeless man. And even though Lindsay didn’t know who that was, hearing that he wasn’t homeless was good enough for her. And Lindsay, crushed and alone, for the first time missed her husband Tobias.”
- “Buster reclaims his favorite chair but the victory is short-lived. And Tobias gets medical attention.”
- “Buster finds out about the death of Captain Kangaroo, Michael grows weary of caring for his father, and G.O.B. finally makes the cover of Poof magazine.”
- “Oscar returns to find a now distant Lucille which was what attracted him to her in the first place. Lindsay reconciles with her daughter. Tobias, traumatized by the public exposure, returns to an unfortunate quirk.”
- “The Blue Man Group finally calls for Tobias with a life-changing opportunity. Unfortunately, he can’t hear it and his life stays the same.”
- “Maeby gets her father a job and Buster visits the general.”
- “Lucille 2 reclaims some space, the Queen Mary changes hands once again and G.O.B. gets needy.”
- “George Sr. shows up to bid on Lucille but the sound of his wolf call and the smell of chicken teriyaki interfered.”
- “Uncle Jack buys the company, but makes some changes of his own, Tobias listens to a day’s worth of his own words, to see what Michael was referring to and he realized there is something distinct about the way he speaks.”
- “Barry gets a big break on his case and for the first time, Lucille prays. And Buster is on his way when he decides to pursue a long-delayed rite of passage and then a seal bites off his hand.”
- “Buster and G.O.B. find themselves closer than ever and Maggie gets a big surprise.”
- “Lindsay finds herself strangely compelled to be with Tobias, but not the one she’s married to. Having finally had sex, G.O.B. can admit that he never consummated their marriage but then G.O.B. caught a lucky break but it didn’t last long. And Maeby impresses the kids at the Promise Land with her one scary campfire story.”
- “Lucille finds a housekeeper that she won’t lose her son to and Steve Holt finally tracks down his real father.”
- “Michael gets a new roommate and the FBI finds footage more troublesome than they’d originally thought.”
- “Buster finds someone else interested in kissing his hook so Buster gets a hook replacement.”
- “Lucille gets some disturbing information and Kitty finds what she’s been looking for.”
On the next season of... Arrested Development
- “Oscar, robbed of his fingerprints, has difficulty proving his identity, Tobias and Kitty go to Vegas, only to find that his dream job has been filled, and George, Sr. turns out to be right about the effects of stress.”
- “Lucille arrives at the cabin, Maeby finds someone to help her forget her cousin ...her cousin. And Lindsay catches up with Tobias.”
Previously on... Arrested Development
- “Michael and his son were camping out at the family cabin before it was to be relocated. [...] But Pop-Pop had other plans. And Michael awoke to find his camping trip going south. And that was when George, Sr. made a desperate plea. Michael didn’t send his father back to prison but instead arranged for him to be placed under house arrest which made this woman his warden.”
- “Lindsay tries to work off her debt with Bob Loblaw and a traumatized Steve Holt needs a father.”
- “Buster signs up Steve Holt up for the Army and George, Sr. finds out that a fake Popemobile can’t stop real bullets.”
- “George, Sr., disoriented in the walls, almost makes contact with a new mole... Not that one. Wait for it... and Michael and Rita start a new life together.”
- “Michael relives a wedding nightmare.”
- “George Michael gets closer to his family, George Michael experiences his unhappiest moment ever, Buster tries to forget his recent losses by breaking out the old guitar, and G.O.B. finally faces a phobia he’d faced before.”
- “Maeby finds a way to scare an entire generation.”
- “The Bluth family gets some good news.”
- “Mock Trial with J. Reinhold leads to imitators and Michael discovers that he wasn’t “N. Bluth” after all. So much for not abandoning family.”
- “G.O.B. has a religious conversion and Buster’s fake coma is put to its greatest test. Oh, my.”
- “Tobias gives his daughter the gift he’d stayed up all night making and Michael and G.O.B. make an interesting discovery.”
On the epilogue...
- “Michael wakes up to another strange bedfellow after his first night at sea and Maeby pitches her TV show to a Hollywood icon who says...”
Ron Howard: No, I, uh... I don’t see it as a series. Maybe a movie.
- "Michael steps out of the air-conditioned airport. And Michael returns to the only viable place he can think of to live where he begins his new life cleaning up after his family's old one. It was Lindsay.
- "WE12 publishes a rare retraction. Oscar confirms his suspicions of the wall while impersonating George Sr. And although it wasn't a perfect impersonation he did have the maca root."
- "Another chair is empty at Lucille's trial. And, in an effort to be less glamorous, Lindsay cuts her hair only to discover much to her frustration. And Tobias becomes addicted to his new profession"
- "Michael starts to really learn the business. And after failing to get back to Burbank on time, Andy calls in a favor from his identical quintuplet brother Rocky. And Rocky hurts two nice red-haired guys' feelings while getting the biggest laugh of Andy's career."
- On the next... to entrap a local predator
- "Predator gets its first rock-solid case. But this creep won't take "go" for an answer. And this creep makes himself right at home. And this guy turns out to be a real comedian."
- “"Lindsay surprises Michael, after a long absence from his life. And George Sr. get more confortable in hiding."
- "Gob nurses the loss of his new family when he gets a call from his old one. And after collapsing yet another colony Gob makes a startling discovery and decides to investigate. Only to discover that someone had wedged shut his secret compartment on the day he deserted his christian bride."
"Red Hairing "
- “"Herbert Love is discovered in a coma. And she even gets Herbert's endorsement. And Annyong tried to stick the Bluth family for a tomato juice that costs him $700 and ultimately his freedom. Good-bye Annyong."
- "After week of rehearsal it becomes clear that the unauthorized Fantasic Four musical does not look like it's going to Broadway. But since they worked so hard we're going to run credits over it."
- “Tobias boards the boat originally meant for Lucille's escape, and after making one stop faces an awful truth. Lindsay remembers she's on a boat... that Marky had intended to bomb. And it turns out to be kind of romantic... that Lindsay and Tobias have matching suitcases."
- Previously on... Arrested Development
- "Gob went downstairs to get a forget-me-now when he bumped into a brother who also had a secret. And relished the oppurtunity to rub it in. And Gob decided to be generous with his last forget-me-now. And for the first time it was Michael who forgot his shame and Gob who remembered."
- On the next... Arrested Development
- "Michael wakes up and is reminded of something horrible. The amount of money he owed because Tobias wanted to mount this abortion. And he does something he never thought he'd do and had already done. And then, with nothing left to lose he makes another call."
- "Lucille 2 becomes less of a threat to Maeby. But a new threat to Maeby emerges."
- "George Michael finds himself the subject of a lawsuit over the ownership of Fakeblock."
"Off The Hook "
- "Buster tries to cover his tracks. And Buster visits a Balboa Towers guard he'd known for many years for an impromptu lesson on how their footage is gathered and stored. But when Carl steps away Buster goes into action and attempts to Fakeblock the footage."
- "Gob gets an important call; from his mother. And even though Gob hadn't taken a forget-me-now; the night before... it seems Tony Wonder had. And this happens..."
- "Lindsay arrives at the border she had just called for a wall to protect. Lindsay is proud that she thought to include her driver . And Lucille and her therapist arrive at their beachside casita."
- "Michael Bluth gets up from the floor. And George Michael dips his toe into the mexican nightlife."
- "Michael returns for his bag. And Buster wonders why Michael isn't doing Michael."
- "With danger lurking the Bluth family tightens their ranks."
- "Ron Howard arranges a jailhouse interview with Buster and Buster remembers George Sr.'s advice. And Maeby enjoys her new paternal relationship... until this happens."
- "Gob and his new conversion buddies labor to design the perfect trick. Wow, now that's gonna be a great show."
- "Maeby finds the man she had previously tried to get away from horribly injured. Buster unaware that he has only a few days left in jail, is also unaware he's part of a prison break and risks 30 years for the crime. Gob, abandoned and confused can't get back in the closet. Sally, all but sure to win, visits Stan in the hospital. And Tobias desperately tries not to lose his most recent Lindsay."
- "George Sr., hoping his wife is watching, goes to the beach to have fun and soon finds himself having a ball. And G.O.B. goes on a religious program to be religiously reprogrammed."
- "Tobias' family settles in at a tent city."
- "G.O.B. makes good on his second obligation to the Gay Mafia by arriving for heterosexual conversion therapy determined to prove it doesn't work. Unfortunately for G.O.B. it works a little too well. Oscar and Buster attempt to keep each other in the dark, but can't rexist a non-gummy dinner. Although Buster decides to run an errand for his brother on the way. But unfortunately for Buster he does so from a long-thought-missing piece of evidence."
- "G.O.B. continues to sing well after the rest of the family realizes that Buster has been arrested."
- "Buster becomes on of 2015's biggest memes. And the Guilty Guys have another breakthrough in the case as they clear a man who had died two years earlier."
- "Maeby uses her mathematical ingenuity to rig an election. But while packing up Maeby comes across something of Stan Sitwell's before she moved in."
- "George Michael discovers Murphybrown knows more about computers than he'd been letting on."
- "The family deals with some fallout from the wall."