Season Five of Arrested Development was released on Netflix in 2018 and 2019. The entire original cast has returned and appears collectively together more frequently than in the previous season to solve the disappearance of Lucille 2.
There are a total of sixteen episodes in Season Five, eight of the episodes were released May 29, 2018 and the rest on March 15, 2019. 
Mitch Hurwitz: In talks with Netflix we all felt that stories about a narcissistic, erratically behaving family in the building business — and their desperate abuses of power — are really underrepresented on TV these days. I am so grateful to them and to 20th TV for making this dream of mine come true in bringing the Bluths, George Sr., Lucille and the kids; Michael, Ivanka, Don Jr., Eric, George-Michael, and who am I forgetting, oh, Tiffany. Did I say Tiffany? — back to the glorious stream of life.Netflix Press Releases
- See also: Season Five/History
The final episode of Season Three, "Development Arrested," featured Maeby and Mort Meyers pitching a TV show about the Bluth family to Ron Howard, who said "maybe a movie." Since that episode aired in February 2006 the cast and crew dropped hints about a film epilogue. At the 2011 New Yorker Festival Reunion series showrunner Mitch Hurwitz and the main cast announced they were going to make a fourth season as a prequel to the film.
The fourth season premiered on Netflix in May 2013 and from 2013-2017 various cast and crew members and Netflix executives stated that Season Five was in the works but it wasn't until May 2017 that the fifth season was officially announced.
During pre-production, production, post-production, and press events for Season Four Jason Bateman and Hurwitz repeatedly called Season Four "Act 1" of a three-act story. In 2017 Bateman has called Season Five "Act 2" with the third act to manifest in a future season or movie.
According to Jason Bateman in July 2017, production for Season Five began in August 2017. The new season will explore more similarities to the Bluth family and the Trump family in the same way similarities between the Bush family were explored in the first three seasons. Bateman also told EW radio that the theme of the fifth season would be a murder mystery as the family attempts to solve who killed Lucille 2? The fifth season will pick up immediately after the events of Season Four.
Jason Bateman: The central spine of that story of is the death of Liza Minnelli's character, and a bit of whodunit, who may have done it, who had something to do with it. [...] That’s sort of a central thread around which [Hurwitz] is going to braid in all the colorful plot complications that he knows how to do.EW radio
Season Five production concluded in late 2017, with additional re-shoots in February 2018. On May 7, 2018 the release date of May 29, 2018 was announced by Netflix.
As revealed on The Ellen Show, Portia de Rossi decided to retire from acting after leaving Scandal in 2017, before production of the fifth season began to pursue her art publishing and curation company General Public Art. She called Mitch Hurwitz to inform him of her decision, but they both agreed and Mitch wrote her into five episodes of the season.
In February 2019 it was announced that the final eight episodes of Season Five will be released on March 15, 2019.
During the production of season five, Jeffrey Tambor was accused of sexual assault by his fellow cast members of the Amazon show Transparent, he was interviewed for ten hours and subsequently fired. Jeffrey himself revealed that he could be difficult to work with at times and apologized for any grievances he had caused.
During an interview with The New York Times, Jessica Walter revealed that Tambor had verbally harassed her on the set of Arrested Development. During the interview Jason Bateman, Tony Hale and David Cross tried defend Jeffrey's actions but they unintentionally seemed to belittle Jessica Walter's experience with him. A day after the interview Jason Bateman, Tony Hale and David Cross all apologised to Jessica Walter publicly and privately. After the backlash from social media, Netflix decided to cancel the UK leg of the Season Five press tour.
Season Four cliffhangers
Season Four ends with several cliffhangers:
- What happened to Lucille 2? — Buster is arrested for Lucille Austero's murder although every Bluth has motive for her disappearance. Furthermore, no evidence has been shown she is actually dead.
- In The Fallout, a corpse that looks a lot like Lucille Austero's is discovered and Buster says he did it, implying he actually killed her.
- Who played Thing in Fantastic 4: An Action Musical? — Tobias gives the Thing costume to Buster, who leaves it by the Chicken Dan's tent before punching Herbert Love and fleeing. Yet Thing is seen (poorly) dancing in the floating train wreck of a musical.
- It is revealed in Season 5 that Gene Parmesan played The Thing.
- What is Michael ashamed of? — Michael returns to the model home late the night of Cinco wearing a banana stand yellow shirt, and is extremely ashamed of something he did. Is it connected to Lucille 2's disappearance?
- What happens to Fakeblock? — George Michael's fake company Fakeblock is based on a software that doesn't exist. At the end of the season George Michael is being sued by P-Hound for the ownership of Fakeblock and is, unbeknownst to himself, also being threatened by the hacktivist group Anonymous (who leave him the misinterpreted note "you are about to get screwed like you've never been screwed before") because of Fakeblock's alleged anti-piracy abilities. On top of it all, he is also committing fraud, as Fakeblock doesn't actually have any of its (vaguely) advertised capabilities.
- In The Fallout, Fakeblock is sold to the Chinese so they can build the wall, but thanks to Murphy Brown it actually corrupts data, thus making them unable to use it.
- What happens to George Michael's relationship with his father Michael, and their lover's triangle with Rebel Alley? — George Michael and Michael's tug-of-war over Rebel comes to a head when George Michael steps up to his father and punches him.
- Michael and George Michael have a series of conflicts throughout the first half of the season, but eventually reconcile. Rebel later dumps George Michael after he sells Fakeblock.
- What happens to the US/Mexico wall that George and Lindsay want to build? — Lindsay was (accidentally) hosting a successful rally to build the US/Mexico wall. Will it get built?
- Other story continuations
A handful of smaller stories that could be explored further, such as Maeby's life as a sex offender, Lindsay's congressional run, G.O.B. in a post-Tony Wonder world, George Sr.'s loss of testosterone, a newly forgiving and loving Lucille and a post-explosion Tobias. In various post-Season Four interviews, Hurwitz has mentioned that several other elements will return in the next chapter:
- The Chicken Dance
- Cindy the Ostrich and the Season Four motif of ostriches.
- Franklin Delano Bluth
- The Banana Stand
- Parmesan cheese & mustard
- Dr. Norman
- "Love Each Other"
- Jason Bateman as Michael Bluth (16 episodes)
- Portia de Rossi as Lindsay Bluth Fünke (5)
- Will Arnett as G.O.B. (16)
- Michael Cera as George Michael Bluth (16)
- Alia Shawkat as Maeby Fünke (15)
- Tony Hale as Buster Bluth (15)
- David Cross as Tobias Fünke (16)
- Jeffrey Tambor as George Bluth (15) and Oscar (8)
- Jessica Walter as Lucille Bluth (15)
- Ron Howard as Narrator (uncredited)
- Returning Guest Cast
- Henry Winkler as Barry Zuckerkorn
- John Beard as Himself
- Isla Fisher as Rebel Alley
- Maria Bamford as DeBrie Bardeaux
- Justin Grant Wade as Steve Holt
- Ron Howard as Himself
- Ben Stiller as Tony Wonder
- Christine Taylor as Sally Sitwell
- Martin Mull as Gene Parmesan
- Judy Greer as Kitty Sanchez
- Ed Begley, Jr. as Stan Sitwell
- James Lipton as Warden Gentles
- Liza Minnelli as Lucille Austero (new footage from "Flight of the Phoenix")
- Debra Mooney as Joan Bark
- Tommy Tune as Argyle Austero
- Alan Tudyk as Terry Veal
- Jack Dorso (Martin Short) and Ann Veal (Mae Whitman) appear only in a photo
- Marky Bark and Herbert Love appear, but their face is not shown
- New Guest Cast
- Kyle Mooney as Murphy Brown Fünke
- Adhir Kalyan as Adhir
- Rebecca Drysdale as Lt. Toddler
- Lauren Weedman as Joni Beard
- Dermot Mulroney a Dusty
- Frances Conroy as Lottie Dottie DA
- Cobie Smulders as young Lucille Bluth
- Taran Killam as young George Bluth
In the initial press release it was stated that the cast would appear "collectively."  In a May 2017 interview Will Arnett stated that the new season will be structured "much like the original broadcast series."
Jason Bateman: I’ve read the first three scripts, and it all continues to be either all together or paired off in twos and threes, basically the same format as the Fox episodes, so that’s all back on.RottenTomatoes.com
The title sequence reverts back to the original theme from the first three seasons, but with a few photo changes, including replacing Buster's hook with his new robotic hand.
Vote Bluth Campaign
- Main article: 2018 Vote Bluth Campaign
In true Bluth fashion, the Bluths want to award themselves the Golden Anchor award and give themselves the title of Best Family of the Year. They are doing a campaign to prove just how deserving they are including a website, campaign poster and more!
- → See 37 pictures of Season 5 Character Posters at Images of Season 5 Character Posters.
Behind the Scenes
- → See 23 pictures from Season 5 BTS at Images from Season 5 BTS.
The cast and crew of Arrested Development often posted numerous selfies with other cast members, behind the scenes pictures and episode sneak peeks.
Cast and Crew Behind The Scenes Photos
Official Instagram Posts
Season Five Trailer
- → Watch more videos from Arrested Development Season 5 at Season Five Videos
Season Five Clips
- → Watch more videos from Arrested Development Season 5 at Season Five Interview Videos
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 7/20/17 — Vulture.com — Jason Bateman Says Arrested Development Season 5 Will Revolve Around a Huge Mistake, Specifically Murder
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 5/17/18 EW.com — Arrested Development creator, stars on reuniting for season 5, Lucille 2 mystery, and Jeffrey Tambor
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 5/17/17 — Netflix.com — The Bluths are Back. Again!!!
- ↑ 7/19/17 — DailyBeast.com — ‘Arrested Development’s’ New Season Will Take On Trump
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 8/15/17 — RottenTomatoes.com — OZARK RENEWED: JASON BATEMAN ON SHOW'S SUCCESS, SEASON 2, AND AN ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT UPDATE
- ↑ 5/18/18 —> https://youtu.be/IlXvP0O4cfw
- ↑ 11/2/17 — Uproxx.com — Henry Winkler On Playing It Cool With ‘Hank Zipzer’ And Returning To ‘Arrested Development’
- ↑ 5/23/17 — @jb111 on Twitter
- ↑ @islafisher on Instagram
- ↑ 12/20/17 — Reddit.com — Maria Bamford AMA
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 3/7/19 — EW.com — Arrested Development: Cobie Smulders and Taran Killam to play Lucille and George Sr.
- ↑ 5/30/17 — BusinessInsider.com — 'Arrested Development' star Will Arnett says the new season will be structured 'much like the original'